Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Responsive Projects in Captivate 8

As a seasoned learner, I have experienced my fair share of responsive quizzes and tests. In my most recent learning experience with the Online Plus program, I have completed numerous online quizzes. During my quiz interactions, I have often wondered how these types of interactive and responsive features are created. Fortunately, our class work with Captivate 8 has allowed me a glimpse into creating these types of responsive activities.

In Captivate 8, the activity designer can create a quiz by selecting the responsive project option. Once the necessary themes load, the designer is presented with a screen that looks very similar to power point. From this initial point, the designer can create multiple question and answer slides simply by clicking on the quiz tab. From there, the designer can add any type of question they would like with immense amounts of detail. These details contribute to the various functional components of the quiz itself.

Captivate 8 Screenshot, 2014
After seeing and attempting to use this feature in Captivate 8, I have gained a much greater understanding of how online quizzes can be created. In fact, I now understand how one of my professors was able to integrate differing types of questions (multiple choice, short answer, multi-answer, etc.) into the same quiz. Understanding the quiz development process has given me a new level of respect for teachers who use this type of responsive coursework. Captivate 8 makes the development process a little easier, however it still demonstrates the complex nature of responsive activities. In an online learning environment, teachers must anticipate and make decisions regarding every feature of the quiz. This includes the types of questions, how many points those questions are worth, what captions will appear as questions are answered, how many attempts are acceptable, and even what color the test will be. This is a stark contrast to traditional paper quizzes that require far less advanced question development options.


As my work with Captivate 8 progresses, I look forward to developing greater understanding regarding other learning features that I have interacted with in the past. I also look forward to using these features in my career as I attempt to teach and interact with others.

No comments:

Post a Comment